- September 4, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Board News, Continuing Education, Laws and Regulations, Newsletters
What you need to know about GC Continuing Education
The recently passed General Statute 87-10.2 states that North Carolina licensed general contractors will be required to complete continuing education (CE) beginning with 2021 license renewals.
- It is expected that CE courses will begin by May 2020.
- 8 hours of CE must be completed in order to renew a license by at least one qualifier for licensees in the license classifications of Building, Residential and Unclassified. For the Unclassified license it shall be the qualifier who has passed the Building examination.
- The 8-hour course requirement includes a mandatory 2-hour course produced by the Board with information about changes in the laws and rules and other content applicable to general contracting.
- The remaining 6 hours will be elective courses produced by outside providers, submitted to and approved by the Board.
- The CE year begins January 1 and ends on November 30 annually.
- Classes will not be offered during the month of December.
We will continue to share information in newsletters and online.
Changes to laws affecting General Contractors passed by the NC General Assembly
Several additional changes to statutes were also passed in the recent legislative session. These include:
- General Statute 87-10(f) was revised by replacing the word “inactive” to “invalid” status for a contractor who chooses not to meet the continuing education requirement.
- General Statute 87-13 was revised to clarify that an individual who falsely claims they are licensed by the Board for any business activity regulated by the Board is engaged in the unlicensed practice of general contracting. Read the added language here) Link to full document
- General Statute 93B-8.1 was revised to reflect changes in how the Board may use criminal history records when considering an applicant for licensure with prior criminal convictions.
Stay in the know: NCLBGC news
On the first Wednesday of each month, the NCLBGC will distribute an enewsletter. Enjoy Board Briefs eight times a year and the Board Buzz, a longer, more robust quarterly newsletter, beginning with the October 2 issue. To sign-up for the newsletter visit nclbgc.org. To submit feedback and story ideas email email@example.com.