The recently passed General Statute 87-10.2 states that North Carolina licensed general contractors will be required to complete continuing education (CE) beginning with 2021 license renewals.
- It is expected that CE courses will begin by May 2020.
- 8 hours of CE must be completed in order to renew a license by at least one qualifier for licensees in the license classifications of Building, Residential and Unclassified. For the Unclassified license it shall be the qualifier who has passed the Building examination.
- The 8-hour course requirement includes a mandatory 2-hour course produced by the Board with information about changes in the laws and rules and other content applicable to general contracting.
- The remaining 6 hours will be elective courses produced by outside providers, submitted to and approved by the Board.
- The CE year begins January 1 and ends on November 30 annually.
- Classes will not be offered during the month of December.